The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Friday, April 28, 2006

Using my network

This has always been a bit daunting for me. I think it's because of my curious nature coupled with my introverted nature and don't forget my occasional shyness. I don't whip out business cards at parties, I don't schedule informational interviews, and I generally don't even ask for help, unless I am desperate...and even then, I'll only ask certain individuals.

As I transition into my writing career, I am beginning to see how much I am missing when I am not activating my network (how corporate sounding!). Now, I'm sure there are polite, socially acceptable ways to do this...but I admit that I don't know any. While I am comfortable with my curiosity (because it's rarely seen as aggressive or annoying), when it comes to asking about people's work, the field they're in, and other work/career related things, I tend to go to the internet first. That way I can ask stupid questions of complete strangers...and log out if I am embarrassed or don't understand or whatever else.
Just this past week I found out about or talked to five different people who are involved with careers that may run parallel to my career goals. Most, when asked, were willing (and even excited) to offer any advice, support, answers, etc. I didn't feel anxious or nervous, I just asked questions and listened to any advice or guidance they offered. A few offered a longer time to chat, if I wanted. It's strange how that happens. It was really life-affirming to sit with others who had been there (where I haven't been yet) and talk about their life, how it's been affected and by what, and any other interesting pieces.

I was all excited to be published but when Josh told me that lots of places pay $150-$200 per article, I realized that I am still playing little league when I'm actually interested in the big leagues (but don't judge me on my bad, and poorly chosen, metaphors). I know that I can write...but the paralyzation can be unbearable. I even have places I want to submit to and topics I want to write about...but alas, sitting down and just doing it is hard enough.

I think I just need to take some time, not pressure myself, and just freewrite as I feel moved. Letting myself feel inspired is really important..I can't just sit down and produce a masterpiece in one sitting. The point is to write how I feel and use the truth as motivation. Beginning is the hardest part, but it's definitely possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home