The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Friday, March 17, 2006

Creating a Life Worth Living

I'm reading a book by this title.
It's really great because it talks about how artists and other creatives go through their process of making a living. The books says it better than I do.

I have been working a lot lately, which is hard for me but also good financially. Hopefully next week I will have more time for the fun stuff. I am working on a project that I feel really good about. I am taking my time and trying to a good job, rather than finish and hand over something mediocre. It's nice. I know it's good when I don't want to give it up.

In CALFWL the author talks about doing an activity that she recommends is done first thing in the morning for 15 mins. Meditating, journaling, something that doesn't involve a lot of thinking. A brain dump, if you will.
I get up and right away start doing stuff, not having set up how I want my day to go. Sure, I have an idea, but I don't face the daily demons and they usually follow me around. There is something about a routine that I find comforting but I have to make one and then I have to follow it. All of a sudden, life gets too crazy to live with a structure. I think it's hard for me to be disciplined while living with someone. I had this chunk of time, a while back, when I was living alone, when I had time slots and activities...writing, walking, preparing food, etc. It was nice to know what I was doing...but then again, I had minimal contact with people. I sat at home and read mostly...I am afraid to get back into that and resent any companionship along the way.
I think I can get up in the a.m. and write though. That seems simple enough. I spend 15 minutes doing a lot less. :)

I am starting to exercise more, which feels REALLY good. I am trying to up my energy levels because I find that with more energy, I am more motivated to do creative stuff. I don't like to do anything half-assed so the more energy, the more likely I am to complete something that I am proud of.

I am having interesting dreams, but I am not writing them down so they slip away as I wake up and start my day. Although getting up has been torturous, the sleeping part has been fine. Our house has turned into a mad labratory with no maid in sight of cleaning it...I guess I get enough cleaning at work. I can't WAIT for a new house with ANOTHER BEDROOM. Girl needs some space to work.

Okay, I think that's enough from me. I have a few things to get done...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home