The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Friday, January 27, 2006

Using the Shadow

While my work at the Law Office winds down, I had time today to take a look into using these shadow parts of my life in my work.
Without getting into too much detail, I am eager to use fabric/other media to explore the parts of me that I have compartmentalized. How can I use fiber to portray loss? Anger? Secrecy? Indifference? Using language is much easier for me. I have been writing, thinking and talking for the larger part of my life but I haven't let my hands or my body express directly their experience of my childhood. I have forced my brain to mediate that interaction to keep the shadow parts at bay.
What will I use? Old fabric, pieces of actual articles of clothing from my childhood, yarn, thread, new fabric, patterns, iron-on photos, etc.
It's interesting to think of using an item to portray a feeling...of course I have seen it done and felt the things I was led to feel, but to do it myself...well, that's a diff. story. I have to remember not to rush deep work. Deep, artistic work, especially. I don't have to finish it or work on it everyday or wait til it is complete to show it or whatever. Just let it flow. Open up to the process of gathering, learning, exploring, trying, etc.

Okay, well I'll let that sit a while. My friend Maggie is coming into town tonight so I'll be hanging with her, but after that...:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home