The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

From Within

I went to an office party on Saturday (for the Law Office). And normally, I kinda dread parties like that because of the omnious question, "So what do you do?" I've been getting used to telling people that I work PT cleaning and organizing and I'm getting comfortable telling people that I am also a Fiber Artist (fake it til ya make it). Now, here's a funny thing. I hadn't really developed anything to say AFTER the artist part. Fiber says what my medium is and Artist says I'm experimenting. But then I hadn't really thought of anything clever to say after that.
Yikes!
But luckily, my heart and soul were on and they came up with a nice answer. When I was pressed to tell more about being a Fiber Artist I explained, "Well, it's one thing to make clothes, and it's another thing to use the medium to express myself. So I sew, crochet, and experiment to explore my relationship with creativity and art." I almost giggled at the way it came out. I almost blew my own cover by stepping out of my body and hooting, "You do what? Yeah right!"
It was a lesson in listening to my spirit...which is really involved with the fiber art part...It had already been practicing this bit and when it came out, it actually felt true and authentic. I guess I don't need my brain for everything, some things my heart and soul can take care of on their own.
And hearing me say something like that made it all the easier to actually work like that. I do love using fabric to express something, other than just functional sewing. It's more subtle for me. Costuming and using clothes to express oneself is an important part of almost every culture (don't know of one that it isn't imp. to) and I take it seriously. While my own personal wardrobe/style is still figuring things out, I can and do appreciate studying others. I hope as I continue my work, I can really embody my relationship to the ritual of dress (which includes the everyday and seemingly mundane dressing).

The ideas are flowing now, which I really enjoy, and I look forward to some free time so that I can make some things. This week and next will be a bit busy, but I am excited to take some time for myself and get something going. We finally have a table I can sit at and I am working on ways to keep the machine upstairs so that I can spend more random time sewing.

I want to make a sample of each item that I am thinking about, just to get a feel for making it, and for its popularity. I've started wearing the skirts and pants I've altered and have received some positive comments, which is really good. Soon I can go to the thrift store and start looking for things. Plus, I do have a lot of fabric still in my storage that NEEDS some love.

I'm also interested in possibly getting some more PT work that is closer to the artistic field. I responded to a craigslist ad for some artistic help and I hope that working with my hands more for someone else will bring me closer to my own work. I am putting my intention in working in the creative arts and it feels good to get some leads.

That's all for now. Keep creating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home