The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Monday, July 10, 2006

Fifth Chakra

It's Monday morning and after a rousing weekend of activity, I am home with some time to write. Finally. I've been avoiding it, to be honest. It hurts to write for long periods of time with a tiny laptop keyboard so after some hounding by good friends, I went out to buy a new keyboard and mouse. What a difference it makes! Now I have no good excuse not to write.

I've been cleaning houses regularly and doing some odd jobs here and there and honestly, it's a good gig. My own hours, my own way of doing it, and it's satisfying overall. But it doesn't take away the fact that I *really* want to write. I know that my expectations can be a bit high, and then consequently make me feel really gloomy if I don't become the next Virginia Woolf, but that doesn't take away my desire to write. Write and write and write. About whatever, whenever, however. I just want to write. And honestly, I don't even care now about making a fat living...I just want to spend hours writing about whatever I can. I need some routine, structure, accountability measures, but that's easy to do. I have to commit and then I can organize that.

So in honor of this commitment, and other commitments in my life (speaking the truth, committing to Josh, moving into this new place in my life), I got a tattoo yesterday of the 5th chakra symbol on my left arm (feminine side). It's a simple line drawing, with the possibility of color later (when my pain threshold is restored to above average), and it represents communication, creativity, and the honest expression of oneself.

While cleaning houses is a good living for me, I eventually want to be a writer and no better time to start than now.

Getting a tattoo is a great metaphor for me. It's about enduring pain and seeking change at the same time. It signifies commitment. It's a bonding experience between myself and others. It reminds me.

So look for more writing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home