The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Hard Work

Although I have no pictures to show for my work today, the house I helped organize/clean is really happy!

Now, I know that most people are not inclined to clean willingly (OCD cases notwithstanding--a compulsion can't be confused with enjoyment). But I do find a certain satisfaction in cleaning. And there is a lot more satisfaction cleaning other people's homes because I have no emotional attachment. So it was easy to go in, clean, and come home. And earning money for it is even better. Waahoo!

And I just realized that perhaps cleaning is just the thing I need. I'll use my left brain to clean and organize, so that I can leave my right brain to do creative things. Aha! That's it!

But I do want to talk about what I did last night.

Although I enjoy using my hands, I have to say that I also enjoy dancing. I signed up for a hip hop class, but more than designated dance moves, I like just being able to dance freestyle...so I did just that. Ecstatic Dance Seattle. It's over an hour of music with no words, 20-46 (we had 46 last night) people (it can be smaller or bigger, but that's an average), and all the expressive dancing you can hope for. It's great because all kinds of people, with all body types, wearing all sorts of things just get together and dance. There's a warm up and a cool down and in between it's just a whole lot of fun. At the end there's time to share any reflections and then people can make announcements (like for other upcoming events). What's really cool is that there are all sorts of progressive people in Seattle and they do all sorts of things. It's nice to dance and also share some ideals with people. My body really loves it too. Working out is just not my thing. It's not fun to be in a gym with no windows, spending money to wasting my energy using electrical machines. For me it's just not a good use of resources. Plus, I hate watching other people work out...it just makes me feel worse. But I did enjoy watching other people dance...!
EDS is at Dance Underground on Capitol Hill and there are mirrors on two walls...and normally I try not to look at myself in the mirror, but last night I wanted to watch myself. I want to be more comfortable with myself and my body image. Normally when I see myself in the mirror, I can always find something to criticize but last night it was so great just to dance and not feel negative about myself. If you're into dancing, I highly recommend ecstatic dance. It's intense. It's a ritual-based
thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home