The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Saturday, December 31, 2005

A New Year

Everyone always has "New Year's Resolutions"...I know I get romantic about starting new as often as I can. But I have to say that I have started to think about the fact that while New Year's has a nifty date and lots of people are often doing similar things (new gym memberships, diets, lifestyles, etc), I am reminded that we can always make each day, hour, or moment new. I don't have to wait for the fancy date or appropriate holiday to start new.

Today I went shopping at American Apparel. It seems really expensive to buy simple, solid color clothing there, but then I remember that this what what it used to be like when people got paid well. So now I can feel better about paying so much because someone has made enough money to afford health care.
But I digress.

In shopping today, I paid attention to this weird process that comes along with clothes shopping. I usually feel pretty down after a rousing effort of trying on clothes, and today seemed no different. I see the skinny manequins and how stylish they are and then I feel bad for not being a motionless, lifeless, one size fits all, inanimate object. Yikes!

So I tried some stuff on, was about to feel bad about the way it looked, and then I thought, I have a choice in how I approach the way I costume myself. Sure, I want comfort. And of course I want style too. And a living wage just rocks my world. So I don't have to walk the runway when I try on clothes and I can say to myself, 'Hmm, I like buying clothes here and while I am not at the height of my exercise routine and eating habits, I do really like how I FEEL in this shirt.' It's an amazing spin. No, the belly doesn't disappear and birds don't start singing, but I can start to have a relationship with what I buy. I can by for comfort and sustainability and THAT makes me FEEL good. It was just an interesting thing. Normally I feel a bit embarrassed that I don't walk in with all the latest styles, but again, the point is how I am approaching the whole process. Yes, I want to design clothes for myself (and hopefully others) that aren't just sylish, but also comfortable and flattering. I overheard one girl saying to another that sometimes she kind likes looking good despite discomfort. She found something special in that I guess. And I giggled, as my rolls of fat jiggled and then I relaxed, knowing I can feel good NOT wearing uncomfortable clothes.

So here's to not only a amazing new year, but to anything I (we) decide to make new: my (our) self-image, buying practices, perspectives, habits, etc! See you in 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home