The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Monday, January 02, 2006

Not enough time

Not everything that happens to me is directly about my art process...but this definitely relates to art.

Longer story a little shorter, I was talking with some friends about creating the kind of life I want to live. Josh and I have been really interested in community building and both of us had amazing experiences while living in intentional communities. So since then I have been really focused on how to recreate that. Some ideas have involved moving back to Findhorn (the community I lived in), joining a cohousing group (which we have since stepped away from), asking close friends to go in on buying a duplex (this idea is still hot for us), starting a women's group, etc.

But in talking about these ideas, I started to feel frustrated because I wanted to feel the community feeling NOW...I didn't want to wait for it to grow and evolve...and it comes out a few minutes later that I feel like I don't have enough time.

This has been a common thought in my life, mostly because my dad's early death at 41 has impacted me that way. I have felt that I don't have enough time to do the things I want to do (although at 28, I must say in my own defense, that my life has felt quite full!). And I don't want to be "late to the party." Well, I was reminded that in the scheme of things, metaphorically I want to run a marathon but I haven't even bought running shoes yet. So I just need to see that what I am doing IS on the path and I AM working on (and succeeding) creating my life the way I want.

Also, I can't keep looking externally for satisfaction. That's a long term habit I've had and I'd like to obviously bring that into my process in art. No matter how many times I've SEEN a marathon, or studied them, or trained, I still have to run the thing myself.

I have a few things going on now, so I feel better about my financial sustainability. Woo hoo! But of course, always keep me in mind for anything you think I might be interested in!

Vacation ends today/tomorrow, so then I am back in the saddle and I really approach this journey with vigor! Thanks again for reading, I hope all of you are enjoying your new year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home