The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Friday, April 06, 2007

Clarity

So I made a big deal about writing an article, and it turns out I don't really care for journalism so much. While the article is "okay" it doesn't really speak the experiences I've been having. Interviewing top raw food people in the movement has been extremely enlightening and really moving. The article doesn't show that. It's a typical piece: hook, history, story, opposing side, appropriate ending. It's dry and filled with quotes instead of reflections. It's probably informative but also superficial. Oh well.

I learned that writing is much bigger than that. What drew me to writing for this magazine was the $ and the ease of submission and that I knew the editor. None of those things are really good things to write for. What drew me to the subject was how people changed with raw food and the article doesn't reflect that. Food is becoming a spiritual aspect of daily life and I really dig that.
So I may not write for the mag again and/or probably won't pursue journalistic style writing/pieces again. I write from experience, and I enjoy it, and I believe it's good writing. I'm not closing all the doors, but I'm more selective now.

This process was brutal. I've never felt so much self-doubt regarding writing before and it was interesting to see what happened. Plus, my relationship with the editor has completely eroded. I don't like being micro-managed, it seems. I should've written the article first, then submitted it, and if she didn't like it, gone somewhere else. Now I know.

I also learned that my enthusiasm and excitement for the world around me is more important than making money. Writing is simply a tool to express myself, it is not the way I earn a living. I have a job. What I need to remember is that loving life is a good occupation and abundance comes from many places that I don't yet know about. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Dave said…

    DANG, I had no dea you were basically the queen of blogs, you ahve tons and tons of 'em. Congrats on that piece, its always better to eventually find out why a passion is a passion than to give it undue respect without knowing why.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home