The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Thursday, July 13, 2006

I've missed the mornings

Waking up at 5:45am doesn't seem like a good time if you're getting up to do something you've been dreading. But when you've been waiting all night to get up and write, it feels like a great time. I used to get up without an alarm when I lived at Findhorn every morning because I either wanted to go and meditate or write and my body was all for it. Even when it was pitch black outside. Goes to show you that it's not all about alarm clocks.
So I got up early to get my two hours of writing time in before I got ready for work and it was awesome. I wanted to write about my/our apartment (we're going to move soon!) and instead, I was drawn to write about life at Findhorn. While I've written about it before, I hadn't really sat down and written about all the things I loved in one place...usually I referenced it when I was writing about something else. This time I just sat and wrote about living there and what I enjoyed and how it affected me. In writing about it, I realized that I'd love to write more and maybe take some time to go back and visit with the goal of writing about it. Many people do that, so I'm not thinking of anything new, but I don't care. It deeply affected my life in all areas and I think that's worth something.

The book I've been referencing, Writing as a Way of Healing, talks about having a process notebook where you discuss what you've written. Brilliant! Instead of writing it in a book, I think it will be just as efficient to blog about it.

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this morning. Josh came and did his computer thing, but I moved my laptop to the kitchen table so that I couldn't see his screen (I am easily distracted) and so I could have a simple desk area. I think having an office, where I have a special writing desk with no crap on it, will make a big difference. All the little papers and reminders can keep me from writing very easily. I am an endless to-do list. So a clear space is nice because then it's all about the writing instead. So Josh did his thing I wrote 6 pages in an hour and a half. Woo! I think the structure of goals, time, space and all the things that go along with that is important for me. I loved being awake in the silence, before the morning had officially started. And now, I am ready and okay to go to work. I got my writing done, and now I can go and clean without the heaviness of not doing what I want to be doing. I realize that I have to keep working while I write. I haven't written enough to quit my PT, financially supportive job. And if I put that pressure on myself to make money, then surely, I will be frustrated and depressed. This way, I can write about anything, for however long and not sweat the financial thing. Aha!

I'm thinking of many ways to organize writing sessions. Picking a place to write in, once a week (or month, maybe), having topic folders (that coincide with magazines, just so I can practice writing on similar things and so I can have goals for publishing), a notebook for beginning sentences or ideas for writing, a book list of books I want to read, etc. I'd also like to work in some research time where I go to the library for a couple of hours and research/read about stuff I'm curious about. At this point, I only read between buses and before bed, but after understanding that reading is a very important part of a writer's life, I must make time for that too. Some mornings I might just devote an hour to reading. At night I'd like to spend time transcribing my dad's book. His handwriting can be a bit tough (and he scrawled all over the page sometimes, which is hard to follow) so having a type-written page to read would be nice.
I was reading yesterday about the idea of losing our geniuses and it made me think that although my dad probably didn't need/want the fame or fortune (well, who doesn't like fortune?) of acknowledgement of his inventions, I can't help but think I've buried my very own genius. I mean, not only was he my dad, but he made a LOT of contributions to society and I don't know anything about that. My Architect comes to mind...a movie about this guy who's Dad had another family and was rarely present in his life, but who architected these amazing buildings all over the world. I've always wanted to interview people who knew my dad. Now, before they get old, or it's too late, or something like that. The internet will help me. My dad might still be working at Battelle for all I know and maybe some of his colleagues are still there...or at least tracable. Hmm. Another idea for a book. My inventor.

Anyway, I feel really good right now, inspired, complete, full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home