The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Saturday, July 29, 2006

What do I love to write about?

That's a very important question. And one that I probably ask myself 15-20 times throughout the day. It always changes. It's not that I simply love to write, it's that I like a certain kind of writing. Personal narrative is my favorite, but coming in a close second is ecological/social transformation. I love to read about people changing the world and I would love to be one of those writers. Someone who brought a unique story to the masses.
Do I have any unique stories?
My parents (Mom, Ricardo and my dad)
Pursuing the Ecological Dream (first I have to pursue it, and this would require some hefty travel--carbon-offset of course)
Surviving sexual abuse--although not unique, I do feel that I have become a very well-functioning part of society through my healing process

On my mind a lot lately has been what can I do about my impact in the world. I have been obsessed with living in Europe mostly for ecological reasons (recycling, waste reduction, social and political progressive lifestyle, mass transit that WORKS, health care, etc) and I have been torn regarding the social community I have here and the ecological community that already exists over there. So my idea was to research how I live here and then when we move temporarily, I can research life there. Then I can document the ease or the difficulty of the different lifestyles. In any case it would give me a good writing project that has the major components of research, experience, ecology, writing and living in Europe...all of which I love and all of which I do anyway.

So after I get married, I'll begin my project. Now I have to set up the process. First I want to document how I live. I know that I live an atypical life compared to most Americans but my point is NOT to be another 'jane' trying to increase my recycling habits. I notice in the more alternative world that I struggle with having one foot in each world. I support Starbucks AND I eat raw food. Usually, those two have a tough time co-existing.
Did you know that Starbucks HAS what's called 'for here ware?' Yep. They have ceramic mugs and glasses for your drinks if you decide to stay and sip. Why don't they advertise that, I wonder?
Little things like that DO make a difference.

Sometimes I break down and do things that I normally have a big problem with (styrofoam to-go containers...do I really need to take that food home? The food will break down faster than that container). Does everyone know about compostable to-go containers?

My plan is to learn about alternatives, try to live without, and overall be more conscious of the way I'm living. I tend to tell myself that it's okay if I drive a little since we don't own a car. Is that the right attitude? I allow myself to 'slip up' every once in a while because I don't pollute as much as the average American...but that's no way to justify. It takes hard work and commitment. Alcoholics can't have a tiny sip just because they've been good all year. Am I addicted to consumerism?
How can I hold myself accountable and not cause social disharmony? Or is the disharmony part of it? Will my choices affect my relationships? That's what I want to find out.

I know that I can't sit by anymore and watch movies like Who Killed the Electric Car and An Inconvenient Truth and other movies that point to our choices and NOT do something. And I can't say one thing and do the opposite. I've got to blow the whistle on myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home