The Process in Art

Art is often used as a way to process. But what about the process of creating art? Here's my journey...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Distractions

The desk has been cleared off and it's a LOT nicer to sit and write. My wrists don't hurt. There's nothing that's distracting me (well, the wedding is an overall distracting element, but that will all be over with in less than 45 days). It feels good.
I realize that I will have to stop cleaning after I get married. We're moving forward with many plans and those involve me having more money and therefore more work. I'm okay with that. By that time, I will have worked cleaning houses longer than any other job I've had (kinda sad, admittedly) and I'll probably go back to the temp world. I hope to have a gig every other week, or simply two weeks on and two weeks off. Or one month on, one month off. Something where I can work but I can also stop working when we go to Brazil or when I do something else. I'm scared of working 8 hour days and not having any time to write, but I'm reassured that many writers had full time jobs, full time families and other strange circumstances and they still managed to write. I think now it will feel different when I do temp work because I know I am working FOR something, rather than just to make money and pass time. Many writers have temped. In fact, that's pretty common as writing tends to take some time before it can become a FT profession. So that's my plan. In any case, I have to stop cleaning because it wears on me a little harder than I like. I feel good about a job well done and maybe I can clean on the side every once in a while, but for the most part, it's demanding and tiring and 4 hours of work exhausts me and I get paid well for those hours, but then I can't do much the rest of the day.
Plus, cleaning for friends and family is far more enjoyable and I only do that occasionally.

Sorry this is so mundane. My brain is filled with tiny wedding details and future planning (for home buying and moving and getting a new line of work) and I need to just let whatever is in there come out however it does. Brain dumping is a good exercise for me because it allows me to stop the thoughts from floating around in an endless cycle.

Josh leaves for Chile soon which gives me some more alone time. Hopefully I can write a bit. I may just get overwhelmed instead, but I'll try not to. Writing letters is often really therapeutic for me and it's nice to write Josh when he's away. Okay, I think I am done here...there's a lot to be done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home